In partnership with Aligned and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, we hosted the Age of Agility Summit Kansas City on June 14th. The event brought together business, education and policy leaders from across both Kansas and Missouri; it was one of the largest gatherings of the Age of Agility national tour.
Aligned is a non-profit, non-partisan coalition of business leaders committed to improving education in Kansas and Missouri. The organization was founded on the premise that the business community has the obligation, opportunity, and capacity to increase the college and workforce readiness of all students through an ambitious, aggressive and comprehensive reform agenda.
The Age of Agility Summit Kansas City was also supported by the Office of Governor Jeff Colyer. Diane DeBacker, Executive Director of Business and Education Innovation for the Kansas Department of Commerce, gave a special address on the Governor’s behalf. Diane DeBacker helped to drive home the urgency of addressing the misalignment of education-to-employment pathways by focusing her comments on the critical ways technology is shaping the economy of Kansas today.
Following the special address, Aaron North of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation spoke to the crowd. Building upon the momentum of the Kauffman Foundation’s RethinkEd Conference in April, North challenged the audience to re-imagine the high school experience so that graduates are better prepared for the jobs of today and agile enough for the jobs of the future.
The willingness of stakeholders to speak candidly about the problems of today’s education system and their ability to think creatively about potential solutions helped to elevate conversations about the Age of Agility happening across both states.
Thank you to our Kansas City Partners & Local Sponsors
Kansas City Summit Speakers
SPECIAL ADDRESS: Diane DeBacker, Executive Director of Business and Education Innovation on behalf of Governor Jeff Colyer
KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Greg Washington, Dean of The Stacey Nicholas School of Engineering, University of California – Irvine
DYNAMIC WORKFORCE PANEL:
- Michael Lindsey, Director of Public Affairs and Government Relations, Walmart
- Tyler Nottberg, Chairman and CEO, U.S. Engineering Company Holdings
- Dr. John Vandewalle, Owner of Lumentouch
- Clint Robinson, Director of State and Local Government Affairs, Black & Veatch Corporation
- Ashley Lunde, Engagement Manager, Aligned
EDUCATION INNOVATION PANEL:
- Dr. John Jungmann, Superintendent, Springfield Public Schools
- Randy Maglinger, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Education, Independence School District
- Dr. Tammy Estes Fry, Lead Instructor of the CAPS Teacher Education Program, Blue Valley District
- Dr. John Jasinski, President of Northwest Missouri State University
- Sherman Whites, Education Director, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Kansas City Summit Gallery
Photos provided by Don Delphia Photography.